I’m Not Dead! I Was Just Resting!

So almost three months have gone since my last post. Woops. My Bad. I have painted a little bit for Infinity over that time – though I forget what, except the Traktor MULs sitting on my painting table still awaiting varnish and flock – and I did some Bones miniatures for D&D over the past fortnight. Which is what today’s post is all about: D&D. Or more specifically, modular dungeon tiles for D&D.

2.5d Modular Dungeon Tiles

I think it was late last year that I discovered the 2.5d system of making dungeon tiles for tabletop RPGs. If you’re not familiar with it, the system was created by DM Scotty and you should mos def check out his channel on Youtube (here, opens new tab). He utilises cardboard tiles with thin strips to simulate walls to construct cheap and easy dungeon tiles. From his channel I found DM G (view his channel¬†here, again, opens a new tab). His tiles are a little different, designed for constant reuse and have a painted stone texture rather than the stone texture spray DM Scotty uses.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I started constructing a set of tiles. Today I finished them off.

SAMSUNG

SAMSUNG

I made 41 tiles in total – I’d like to double that number though. The tiles are based on a 7cm “grid” (see DM G’s channel) and the “walls” are 7mm wide.

SAMSUNG

SAMSUNG

The tiles are undercoated in black and then given a basecoat of grey. I decided to do as DM G does and mix my own grey, which means the basecoat did vary a little from some tiles to others.

SAMSUNG

SAMSUNG

The stone tile pattern is then applied with a square of sponge cut out to be roughly 25mm square. White and black are again used, but this time they aren’t mixed. You stamp the white and black and twist a little, then apply to the tile. Finally you get plain black and paint on the tile outlines. I also painted the shadows for the walls – this probably should have been done with watered down black, buuuut I was lazy.

SAMSUNG

SAMSUNG

I think the result looks great and I’m looking forward to using the tiles next weekend when my second group heads to the old tower on the outskirts of the village Bland to exterminate the goblins that have taken up residence there and are harassing the village.

SAMSUNG

SAMSUNG

They stack up nicely. The pile is about 21cm cubed.

Next Time

There are a number of things I’ve done over the past two months that I would like to post up. There are some Infinity models to showcase, Bones models to do likewise, props for D&D to discuss and then I might write up our D&D sessions too. So hopefully my next post won’t be as long coming as this one has been!

Advertisements

A Couple of Norman Knights

So I wasn’t as productive on the weekend as I had hoped, primarily because I decided to prioritise a social life above being a hermit, which is a real pain when you’ve plenty of miniatures to paint and terrain to build! I did, however, glue my tree trunks into their bases. I didn’t get around to using wood putty to make the round balsa look more like an actual trunk though. I’ll post about these at some later date when they’re done, or nearer to being done perhaps.

The other thing I did was paint a couple of Norman Knights.

SAMSUNG SAMSUNG

I’m pretty pleased with the results, the miniatures are really easy to paint and look great as I have mentioned previously.

SAMSUNGSAMSUNG SAMSUNG

Only having to position the lower arms gives just as much variation of poses as positioning the arm as a whole, and the various mounts are all in great poses. I’m also pleased with my purchase of grass tufts for these models. I’ve been meaning to buy some for a while and I picked up a heap the other day off eBay from a user named leadbear. He hand makes the grass tufts locally (that is, here in South Australia). If you’re in Australia you should check them out, $8 for 160, 4mm high, various colours, plus some various styles (like the leafy tufts) that are a little more:¬†http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/leadbear

I’m not really sure what I’ll be working on over the next week. Probably more Norman knights, though I also undercoated my Soviet blisters. This weekend we look set for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (2nd Ed), but I’ll see about doing some work on those trees. Till then, happy wargaming!