It’s been a while since I’ve done a Friday post, but we’re back! With painted things! Not really much to say this time round. Over the past couple of weeks since my last post I’ve painted a couple of models for my JSA and finally got around to painting the thee Soviet blisters I bought for Bolt Action: officers and medic; Maxim HMG; and an 82mm mortar. Last Sunday I also played a couple of games of Infinity N3. I shan’t be recounting those two games (I forgot to take pictures of the two tables used), but I can report that adhesive launchers are all of the fun.
Haramaki and Karakuri
The photos I took are a bit poor, but if you don’t enlarge them you get the idea.
The first of my Haramaki Zensenbutai, I believe she’s the model with the contender. The photos aren’t the best, but she’s a good example that Infinity miniatures don’t need fancy paint jobs to look nice. Simple colour schemes and basic techniques will net you nice looking miniatures that look good on the table. It’s my standard JSA scheme: German Grey pants over which I paint German Fieldgrey; Dead White armour; Blood Red shoulder swatches, and in this case helmet and chest plate. I painted the piping sections (arms, neck, thigh areas) watered down black. The firearm is straight German Grey with Gunmetal Grey barrel and magazine. Pretty straight forward, nothing fancy.
And here we have the first of my Karakuri Special Project. This model is armed with an Mk12. These models are pretty ethereal, in that they don’t consist of much. They aren’t fiddly to put together though and you can paint them very quickly. The photos are particularly bad for this model, but it doesn’t look too bad. Colours are even more basic here: Dead White, watered down black and a very small amount of read (shoulder swatches and a swatch in the centre of the chest).
First up we have the Maxim HMG. I haven’t painted anything WWII in quite a while, but it always surprises me how easy it is to paint WWII miniatures – or realistic schemes in general. Uniforms are Khaki Grey, belts, tool handles and gun butts Beige Brown, packs and sashes German Camo Beige, helmets and materiel Olive Camo (I believe the colour is now labelled Russian Green). Very simple and straight forward, no highlighting or shading (I rarely do). Very happy with the results (as I am with all the Soviet miniatures).
82mm mortar team. Bit of shadow in the first image makes the face on the helmeted guy hard to see. One thing that is different about these miniatures to my Soviet infantry (which you would only have seen in my Bolt Action AAR) is that I undercoated with Dark Yellow (Army Painter) rather than Black. The Dark Yellow is actually very close to Khaki Grey and if you really wanted to you could probably get away with not even painting the uniforms. I wouldn’t advise it though. After undercoated I put a pretty heavy black wash on to make sure all the cracks and crevices are dark so it was as if the model were undercoated black in the sense that when I paint it, if those areas aren’t covered (which the aim is not to), things will look good. If you wash though, you need to paint the uniform to make sure it is a uniform colour (in the sense of consistent).
And finally we have the Officers blister: two officer models (one higher ranking than the other) and a medic. I think Warlord do the medic with a white helmet, I didn’t actually check, but absolutely love Olive Camo, so I decided to keep the helmet the normal colour and paint on the red cross. It turned out pretty well and all the models are really cool.
So that’s how things have been ticking over for the past couple of weeks. Next up I’ll be painting more Haramaki and Karakuri, probably thinking about getting around to finishing off that Flames of War Terrain I started and grabbing some light grey spray undercoat so I can do the Germans I’ve got. Until next time.